Friday, April 29, 2011

The Measure of a Rose

While I have rarely contributed to them, I follow a couple of rose discussion groups.  It's not that I have anything against contributing, it just often seems that my experiences with some roses is contrary to that of other contributors.  Such is the case with a recent discussion regarding Ebb Tide.  The discussion talked about what a poor grower and how disease prone Ebb Tide is.  My experience has been different.  Granted this discussion was among hybridizers who have goals beyond the individual plant.  


In April of 2010, I planted a small own-root band of Ebb Tide.  It is now just one year old and has grown to be just about three feet tall and has been very healthy.  It still needs to fill out and I wish it had a more spreading habit, but so far I can't find much to complain about.   Flowers on Ebb Tide often open on the pink side of purple, darken as they mature, and finishes with gray tones (much like my beard).  It may be that Ebb Tide has significant problems but in its location on the South side of our house, shaded from the Western sun, in my nearly no-spray garden (once last year and none this year) it has been one of the most beautiful roses of the Spring. A cluster of blooming Ebb Tide flowers creates a very dramatic display.


10 comments:

  1. I love Ebb Tide, not only for its color, but also for its scent! Mine sometimes has a small touch of blackspot, but nothing major, and I've never sprayed. Yours looks very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has great color. This may just be a rose that doesn't grown well across the entire US and prefers certain conditions....or you just are better at growing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Prof, I'm sure that if it is between the two, it must be the former.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It performs well for me too, it just took awhile to get established. Mine is beautiful next to Sharifa Asma. The performance of a particular cultivar is so climate-specific it is hard for a group of people from all over the country to agree on what performs well and what doesn't :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my Ebb Tide. Mine had a precarious beginning, I bought it from Dutch Gardens and it came encased in wax! I managed to get all the wax off and it's been fine. It tends to be tall and lanky and put out canes that need support, but otherwise I love the color. Mine gets a lot of afternoon shade and it seems to like that. It also seems to be a Japanese Beetle hang out, even though they tend to ignore the darker roses. I once had a white sport on it and it coincided with a white sport on my purple clematis. That was a strange day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope my new baby Ebb Tide does as well in our dry climate with cold winters. I think it may be marginal here, but I just had to try, and seeing your photos reminds me why!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to here that others have good experiences with Ebb Tide. I wonder what the deal is with the Japanese Beetles.

    Rosese, Color, and Light - I think the dry climate might be a plus but mine is protected so I don't know about winter hardiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear all,
    I would like to add the rose "Ebb Tide" to my collection.
    Does anyone know how this rose can be sent to Belgium (Europe)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had any problems with growing Ebb Tide either. But then again, I planted it on the south side of my parents house, which is a great microclimate, as many hardy tropicals and sub-tropicals have overwintered successfully there. It is in the south suburbs of Chicago. I moved to Miami and although roses can be grown here, I just can't bring myself to do it, because they just look so out-of-place to me here growing in a tropical garden. Maybe I will get over that some day when the allure of roses and the desire to grow them overwhelm me. Ebb Tide will surely be one,if it does well here, because it is one of my favorite roses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny you mention Ebb Tide...first, I will preface that I do not have enough experience with any rose...past a year and half...I have Ebb Tide that I planted as a bare root....it has been slow to sprout but sprouting it is.....the only comment I will say is that it is unique in its habit from my very minor and limited experience...I am glad you posted this...it lets me know that it "beats to a different drum"...if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete