Monday, June 20, 2011

St. Swithun's Day

My favorite rose is St. Swithun, an English Rose introduced in 1993.  Its flowers are of the lightest pink, larger than most English Roses, hold 100+ petals, intricately quartered, and are heavily fragranced with a heady musk scent similar to Myrrh only sweeter.  A cluster of its flowers will fill a room with its fragrance and can be quite heavy.  Its flowers are held up on stems that are perfectly matched to not be too stiff as to lack grace or so limp that the flowers drag.
The bush is vigorous and somewhat spreading.  Below is a plant in its second year.  You can get a sense of its habit but know that in Oklahoma it will grow to be 5-6 feet tall and 6 feet wide.  This is by far one of the most healthy English Roses and is said to be very winter hardy (zone 4). Its one drawback is that Thrips love it and they are a bit hard on its Spring blooms. 
I didn't know anything about the person St. Swithun before growing the roses but he was born in 852 A.D. and is the patron saint of the Winchester Cathedral.  St. Swithun's Day is July 15 and it is said that whatever the weather on St. Swithun's Day it will continue for the next 40 days.  On a side note, anytime you come across the number 40 in the Bible it probably is not meant to be taken literally.  It really mean "a long time."  Think - Its been raining for a month of Sundays or its raining cats and dogs.  If I seem a bit focused on rain its because we really need it. 

The British folksinger Billy Bragg, has written a song full of nostalgic longing for a former love titled St. Swithun Day's.  Billy has often been compared to Woody Guthrie, a comparison I understand but their sounds are so different you have to listen deeper to get it.  Even so, I thoroughly enjoy both. You can hear a sample of the song on emusic at Billy Bragg St. Swithun's Day .  Several years ago Billy Bragg performed at the Woody Guthrie Festival in nearby Okemah, Oklahoma (the birthplace and childhood home of Woody Guthrie).  While at the festival he took several of Woody poems and lyrics that were not set to music and wrote tunes for them.  This has now become a project of many artist who come the the festivial.  This year's WoodyFest is July 13-17, 2011 and always takes place on his birthday.

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely rose bush! And so healthy and big. Wonderful for a 2-year-old plant.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks..great rose, I'll look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful bloom! Such perfection in the folds of the petals in the last photo. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ya'll! Looks like things got straighten out with my ability to reply. Best of luck to you prof if you give it a try. If it doesn't make it through your tough winters I'll reimburse you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This could be anyone's favorite rose. Such a beauty! How is it with blackspot?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a friend who also raves about this rose. It's already on my short list for when I expand my Austin collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry, Oklahoma is not Florida but that said, fir me it has never had blackspot while other Austin's have it regularly (Graham Thomas and Gertrude Jekyll being the worst offenders). It is planted next to Scentimental which regularly deals with blackspot but still does not pick it up.

    Connie, I'm glad to hear that you are adding it and I think you will be too. When we moved here in June 2009, I had it ordered and planted by the Fourth of July, I love it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for such an informative post. I can't believe that big plant of yours in not even two years old. The blooms look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Masha, We have two bushes of St. Swithun. The first one was planted in June of 2009 and I pegged one of its canes in the Fall. The pegging rooted over the winter and in the Spring of 2010 I seperated it from the mother plant and planted the young one pictured above in its new location in April 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really a lovely post about St. Swithun! Makes me want to get this rose, since light pink big rose blooms with many petals are my favorites! I am wondering though, how St. Swithun would do in Southern California, where I am gardening.
    I also flipped through some of your older posts and have to say that you are writing a very nice blog. When I have more time I will come back and visit again.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Christina, I enjoy the more sustained nature of blogs. You get a better feel for the person behind the words and their garden through time. As to St. Swithun and SoCal, it has held up well to the last two seeks of 100+ temps here but I do water frequently. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't unless it needs a true winter but I don't know that.

    ReplyDelete