Friday, July 1, 2011

Stripes for the 4th of July!

Striped roses were not created to celebrate the Fourth of July but there couldn't be a better time for these roses.  I currently grow three varieties Twister (three plants), Scentimential, and Moore's Striped Rugosa.  Here are a few pictures to celebrate the Fourth!
Twister is a wonderful "climbing miniature" rose.  It grows to a height of four feet and is more upright than spreading.  Ralph Moore called these "climbing," because he had a group of miniature roses which had miniature flowers and leaves but grew much taller.  So, as a marketing strategy, he called them "climbing."
Modern striped roses go back to Ralph Moore's work with the hybrid perpetual/bourbon,  Ferdinand Pichard, and can be found in every modern class of rose now.  Twister's flowers (above) are filled with petals and are very fragrant.  It also is one of the roses I can always find a flower on when I go out in the yard.  Twister's vigorous, upright growth is always healthy and this is one rose I will not go without growing in my garden.
This is Scentimental, a floribunda rose bred by Tom Carruth in 1997, with large loose flowers and a wonderful spicy fragrance.  I'm withholding judgement for now because I love its flowers and it blooms regularly, but it has a bit of a problem with blackspot.  It is also shorter than I expected, but I will give it some time to grow up.  If not then it may have a different use than I had been thinking.  
As you probably have noticed from the above pictures, part of the fun of striped roses is that from flower to flower they will move from one color being dominant to the other.  Scentimental's flowers are red and white striped, however, sometimes the white can be pink.
Here is my first bloom and photo of Moore's Striped Rugosa as it begins to open.  This was just this afternoon, July 2nd, wanting to make a statement before the Fourth.  For some reason I am really drawn to its crinkly rugosa foliage.  I have also noticed, putting this post together, that I find mostly white roses with red strips to be most attractive.  How could you not like this rose? 

Just one more picture of Twister because it is such a photogenic rose.

7 comments:

  1. Very beautiful and great timing, Rev. Where's your blue salvia? Thanks for sharing your collection of stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherry. Great idea on the blue salvia. I'll get right on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about the difference between white roses with red stripes or red roses with white stripes! You are so right! I only have one striped rose, an impulse buy that was shoved in a too-crowded space. Will have to move it this fall. Now I'm wondering if it's red or white! Pretty roses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holley, I have noticed that Scentimental produces mostly red frowers while Ferdinand Pichard and Twister,s flowers can cover the whole range from one flwer to another. I have even had some on Twister that came close to being half white and half red. Too early to say how Moore's striped rugosa will go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really sweet roses. Thanks for the photos and the information!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love striped roses too. One is Rosa Mundi, which is pictured in my current post on once-blooming roses and other OGR's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hannah, I have often thought about growing Rosa Mundi, but I just have a hard time buying a once-blooming rose. I have grown them in the past, but right now I am limiting my roses to those that repeat. I enjoyed your post and look forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete